Monday, December 7, 2015

David Mark Boasts Ahead Of Rerun

Following the order given by the Court of Appeal for a rerun in Benue South senatorial district, the erstwhile president of the Senate, David Mark, has boasted that it will be impossible for the All Progressives Congress to penetrate the zone in the forthcoming rerun election, Leadership reports.

Mark’s victory at the senatorial district election was challenged by the APC candidate at the election, Daniel Onjeh, on the grounds that the poll was marred by irregularities.

Upon the petition at the state National Assembly election tribunal sitting in Makurdi, Justice Dipeolu had in October upheld the election of the former Senate president.

Not satisfied by the verdict, Onjeh appealed the case which eventually led to the nullification of the election and a rerun ordered.


However, Mark said that his confidence was based on the overwhelming solidarity and supports by his people whom he said are solidly behind me.

He said: “I can tell you without any fear of contradiction that there is no opposition to my party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in my zone.”

Mark said that the nullification by the court has strengthened him and his constituents the more.

He said: “The appellate tribunal judgement came as a surprise to me. But I am happy there is an opportunity for a re-run election. I can assure you that any day, anytime, my people will vote for me.
“Benue South senatorial zone is totally a PDP area.

One senator, the four House of Representatives members, 10 out of 11 state House of Assembly members are all members of the PDP. So, clearly, there is no room for APC or any other party in my area.

“Be rest assured that under a free and fair contest, I have no challenger. My people would not be cowed or intimidated to do otherwise.”

The nullification of David Mark’s election came three weeks after a the Taraba state governorship election petition tribunal voided the declaration of Darius Ishaku of the PDP as winner of the poll on the ground that Alhassan, popularly referred to as Mama Taraba, was the bonafide winner of the election.

 HOMEPAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment